Hong Kongers who left to live in the UK are being blocked from accessing £2.2bn in pension assets, according to research from activist group Hong Kong Watch. The UK offered Hong Kong residents in 2019 a path to full citizenship if they held British National Overseas (BNO) status. Residents are normally allowed to reclaim pension funds if they move abroad permanently. But the Hong Kong government said emigration under BNO was not a valid reason to withdraw the cash early. Sam Goodman Hong Kong Watch's group director of policy and advocacy on 12 April said on social media: "The U...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes