A company director was sentenced on Friday to nine years in prison for scamming investors out of £2.3m in a fixed-odds betting scheme in which victims were persuaded to put money into transactions that did not take place. Clint Canning and his wife Eleise Wallace lived a "lavish lifestyle" enjoying luxury holidays and buying expensive watches, Southwark Crown Court heard. Wales Online reported that now they face losing their £1m farmhouse near Chelmsford, Essex as it is about to be repossessed. Canning, 45, convinced his victims to place bets on company share or asset prices with the...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes