Bitcoin is on the "road to irrelevance" and the financial industry must be cognisant of the long-term reputational risk of promoting investments in the cryptocurrency, according to a blog post published by the European Central Bank. Written by the ECB's Ulrich Bindseil, director general of market infrastructure and payments, and Jürgen Schaaf, advisor, market infrastructure and payments, the article argued that bitcoin was neither a payment system nor an investment, and its recently stabilised price was an "artificially induced last gasp". Three quarters of wealth managers planning to...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes