Mel Stride has been appointed as the UK's secretary of state for work and pensions by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak. This comes after Chloe Smith announced yesterday (25 October) she was leaving the role to return to the backbenches. Stride was elected as the MP for Central Devon in 2010. In 2019 he was appointed leader of the House of Commons under Theresa May when she was prime minister. Stride is also chair of the Treasury Committee, where he has been influential in scrutinising government policy. He backed Sunak in both Tory leadership elections this year. Work and Pensions...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes