Boris Johnson has resigned as prime minister, stepping down from the role less than 48 hours after Chancellor Rishi Sunak and health secretary Sajid Javid began a record spate of resignations. Since Javid's resignation at 18:02 on 5 July, quickly followed by Sunak's at 18:11, a total of 54 minister have resigned from the government, with most citing a lack of faith in Johnson. Johnson had held on, arguing he would not step down until his mandate from the British people was withdrawn, which led many to believe he may attempt to call a snap election. However, during a liaison committee ...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes