The European Court of Justice has ruled that Spain infringed the European principle of free movement of capital, triggering an overhaul of its regulations. Residents of Spain, including British expats, have since 2013 been obliged to submit an annual declaration reporting the assets they own outside Spain - the infamous Modelo 720 (or Form 720). This is in addition to annual income and wealth tax returns. To discourage people from not reporting or underreporting their assets, the Modelo 720 regulation imposes very high penalties for failing to file the declaration, filing it late, or...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes