2021 was a difficult year for biotech equities, with the Nasdaq Biotechnology Index giving a full year performance of -0.6% and a total return of 0%, underperforming the S&P 500 benchmark by more than 25 percentage points. It was one of the worst years for the index. As of 20 January, the Nasdaq Health Care Index was down 23.9% compared to 12 months prior. The industry experienced a lot of volatility throughout last year. Funds such as the L&G Healthcare Breakthrough UCITS ETF finished the year down 8.32%, while BB Biotech reported a net loss of CHF 405m (£327.3m). But biotech inve...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes