The United States IRS seized cryptocurrency worth $3.5 billion during the fiscal year of 2021. According to its latest criminal investigation report, this figure represents 93% of assets seized. The tax collection agency believes that it could seize further billions in crypto from tax fraud and other crimes over the coming year. "I expect a trend of crypto seizures to continue as we move forward into fiscal year ‘22," said IRS Criminal Investigation Chief Jim Lee. "We're seeing crypto involved in a number of our crimes as we move forward." These cryptocurrencies were seized as a...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes