A property gains tax or an inheritance tax is on the cards to address wealth inequality in Singapore, which would worsen over time if price increases in private housing consistently outstrip that in public housing, MAS managing director Ravi Menon has said. To promote an inclusive society, it might make sense to shift the balance in Singapore's tax structure away from taxing income towards taxing wealth, said Monetary Authority of Singapore's Menon on Thursday (July 22) at an Institute of Policy Studies lecture. The Singapore Straits Times further reported that he said the widening we...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes