Australia's exchange-traded fund (ETF) industry had a landmark year in 2020, growing 30.4% year-on-year to A$79.3bn (US$60.8 billion) in AuM, according to Morningstar figures released this morning. Net new flows reached A$18.7bn, the highest in five years. ETF providers in Australia saw a higher-than-ever proportion of new inflows that came from direct individual investors, often young and entering the share market for the first time. Anecdotally, providers attribute growth to easy access and liquidity of ETFs. According to Betashares, 83% of inflows in 2020 went to index products...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes