Beijing has announced it is launching a major expansion of trails to test a digital version of its yuan currency. China's ministry of commerce said on Friday the new digital currency, known as DC/EP, or digital currency/electric payment, would be trialed in cities across the country's most-developed regions. The new cryptocurrency, which is being developed in partnership with the People's Bank of China, would remain under the governance of the Chinese central bank, and would be an alternative to the yuan, the government said. Pilots of the cryptocurrency are already underway in Sh...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes