Self-employed workers in the UK are being targeted with a new SMS phishing scam, designed to obtain the victim's passport number, home address, and bank account details, it has emerged today. The scheme, uncovered by Griffin Law, beings with a text message purporting to be from HMRC, telling the recipient they are due a tax refund and should apply online via a site with the URL http://ukservice.org. The site uses official HMRC branding and is entitled "Coronavirus (Covid-19) guidance and support." It asks visitors for personal details including their name, home address and government ...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes