An unprecedented $2trn emergency stimulus package was passed by the US Congress last night in an extraordinary effort to combat the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. Confirmation of the deal, which consists mostly of funds to bail out affected companies as well as so-called helicopter money for American households, resulted in the S&P and Dow stock markets witnessing their steepest one-day gains in more than 80 years. Stocks in Asia and Europe also recovered some of their recent losses before falling back in morning trading on Wednesday. The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 11%,...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes