The General Insurance Association of Singapore (GIA) today announced that the sector achieved stable growth with 7.6% annual growth in gross written premiums, totalling S$4.10bn at the end of 2019. The sector has reported it paid out 12.2%, or S$159m, more in insurance claims in 2019, which contributed to the sector recording an underwriting loss of S$28 million. The top five segments, which represent 70% of the general insurance market, recorded a combined underwriting loss of S$43.4m. The GIA undertook several key developments in 2019 to mitigate claims cost inflation and manage e...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes