HSBC will be forced to delay a plan to slash 35,000 jobs in the midst of a coronavirus pandemic that has claimed nearly 10,000 lives. The FT reported that four people briefed on the matter were informed that should the contagion become a long-term crisis, the disruption would likely delay the overhaul. "You can't fire a trader in Europe over the phone when he is either working from home or taking care of a sick family member," said a Reuters report citing an unnamed HSBC source. Quinn's decisive move to slash costs proved instrumental in securing him the top spot at Europe's large...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes