Barrick Gold CEO Mark Bristow has criticised the fund management industry and what he calls a new-found refusal to invest in businesses that do not have satisfactory environmental, social and governance criteria. Speaking at a major mining event in Cape Town, Bristow asked why some of the most profit-hungry asset managers were refusing to invest in businesses that did not meet ESG criteria. "Even late capitalism's supposedly unvarnished practitioners have suddenly discovered the merits of a social conscience and are now saying they won't invest in a business that doesn't have a satisf...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes