The start of the new year saw the end of Equitable Life after a deal to buy the remaining business of the world's oldest member-owned insurance group was completed on New Year's Eve. At midnight, its policyholders transferred to Utmost Life and Pensions after most of them accepted an offer of £9,000 each on average in return for giving up guarantees on the value of their contracts. Utmost agreed to buy Equitable's remaining business in June 2018 for £1.8bn- a deal that covers more than 300,000 policyholders and £6bn in assets. However, it has taken 18 months to win the approval of pol...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes