Bitcoin surged above $11,000 on Monday hitting a more than 15-month high, extending recent gains as the cryptocurrency benefited from sustained momentum. The world's largest digital currency by market value climbed more than 250% from its local low of $3,122.34 reached in December, CoinDesk figures reveal. In a major strategic shift for the social network founded by Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook took aim at Bitcoin last week with plans for its own digital money. Experts say that Facebook's recently launched Libra cryptocurrency is one of the main reasons for Bitcoin's surge. Last we...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes