The Australian financial sector is facing its worst downturn since the global financial crisis of 2008, as the scandals revealed during the royal commission hearings are still taking a toll in the industry. The business conditions index dropped to 2 in December from 11 a month earlier, a NAB report showed . A gauge of employment fell to 4 from 9 in November, while profitability plunged to zero from 8. A separate confidence index was unchanged at 3. The index measures hiring, sales and profits. NAB chief economist Alan Oster said the drop had been "broad-based" across all states and i...
To continue reading this article...
Join International Investment
Join International Investment today
Unlock members-only benefits:
- Unlimited access to real-time news, industry insights, video features and market intelligence
- Stay ahead of the curve with spotlights on international financial centres, regional trends international advice and global industry leaders
- Receive breaking news stories straight to your inbox in the daily newsletters
- Hear the latest cross jurisdictional developments in wealth planning, tax, regulation, investing, retirement and protection
- Members-only access to the Editor’s weekly news roundup newsletter
- Members-only access to analysis via our exclusive industry polls
- Be the first to hear about our events and awards programmes