French asset management association AFG has released its first research on infrastructure funds managed in France.
Some 14 asset managers managing infrastructure funds have been surveyed last February.
The study finds out that 60 infrastructure funds managed by French companies had €13.9bn of assets under management at the end of 2016, split between infrastructure equity (€9.1bn, 34 funds) and debt (€4.8bn, 26 funds). Some €6.1bn were invested under ESG/SRI constraints.
The insurance sector remains well ahead of other institutional clients, accounting for 66% of the total AUM of the 60 French infrastructure funds as of end 2016. Pension funds (18%) and banks (4%) follow.
Some €20.3bn were by these 60 funds since their launch while €12.5bn have been invested since inception.
In 2016, the 60 French infrastructure funds surveyed have raised €7.8bn and invested €4.7bn in infrastructure equity or debt.
Over one third (39%) of the investments made by French infrastructure funds go into transport infrastructure projects while 28% and 20% focus on utilities and renewable energy projects respectively.
Regarding geographical allocation, 37% of the investments are made in France and the remaining 63% in Europe excluding France.